General Ferret Information Resources
- Where’s a good place to learn about ferrets and their care? Be certain to research carefully and get plenty of information before you bring that first one into your home.
- Ferret Owner’s Manual, by the good people at 4 Li’l Paws Ferret Shelter, is a great all-in-one resource. You can download it in a variety of formats. 4 paws up!
- Ferret Central is probably the standard ferret website and includes the famous Ferret FAQs.
- Ferret Universe is another good site. It includes a unique and rather extensive glossary of terms you are likely to run across when learning about ferrets.
- Critical Ferret References was originally created by Sukie Crandall and is now hosted by the International Ferret Congress. It is a very comprehensive and well-maintained list of good sources for nearly every ferret information need imaginable. It has an emphasis on health information.
- Help! Sick Ferret!
- First of all, get thee to a Good Ferret Vet
- The Ferret Health Care Website by Mike Janke is quite comprehensive.
- Pathology of the Domestic Ferret is Bruce Williams’ website. Dr. Williams is one of the best ferret vets in the world and freely shares an amazing amount of information on his website. Don’t let the title fool you; you don’t have to be a pathologist to make excellent use of his website.
- TriFL’s Ferret Illness and Disease Index is useful for reading up on the more common ferret problems if you already have a diagnosis.
- The Ferret Health List is a good mailing list for medical concerns. Several top-notch ferret vets are members, as well as an abundance of experienced ferret owners. Complete Searchable Archives are available and highly recommended before posting a question.
- I live in [insert your home here], and I’d like to know if there’s a ferret shelter/club in my area.
- STAR’s Listing is a good place to check first! It includes listings for offline as well as online groups and individuals.
- Ferret Central’s Organizations and Shelters Page is a good place to search for clubs and shelters that have web pages.
- The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
This list is an extremely helpful resource for any ferret owner; it arrives once daily in a digest format.Excellent Searchable Archives are also available on the web. The FML includes active discussion of all topics related to the care of the domestic ferret. You can subscribe by sending email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Oh, and by the way…
Have you checked in on Modern Ferret Magazine lately? These folks are doing an incredible amount of work and produce a very fine and entertaining magazine!
- alt.pets.ferrets newsgroup
The usenet newsgroup alt.pets.ferrets is unmoderated.