It is being projected that nearly half the dogs in the United States will get canine arthritis later in life. Older dogs that are overweight are especially susceptible.
One of the best ways to prevent canine arthritis is making sure your older dog stays at a healthy weight. Again, the ideal weight is kept slim, not obese.
Dogs are a bit more similar to people than we’d like to believe. After all, dogs spend the same amount of time sleeping as people do. Of course, dogs also don’t wake up and wonder how they will survive the day.
As a dog owner, you’re probably aware that dogs also tend to sleep more — and you know that your dog is no exception. One way to bring a measure of consistency to your dog’s life is to keep track of his daily exercise routine.
If you have a fairly routine day, your dog will have a similar one. Keep a schedule, and you will be helping your dog be psychologically and physically healthy.
If you purchase a dog, you have to be prepared to provide a good home for him or her. It would be nice if you could bring your dog home, and he or she would immediately take to you.
Unfortunately, that is not always likely to happen. So, commit to your dog that you will be there for him (and her) all the way through — even if it means taking some time from your own life.
You will surprise yourself by how much you can get out of an animal companion, even when you already have gone past the emotional peak of attachment.
Just like with human beings, having a good dog companion can alter a person’s life. I’ve met very many people whose lives have vastly improved once they brought a dog into their lives.
The effect is like a slap of lightning that touches your life. You spend quality time with your dog.
You develop a closer relationship. And, your dog contributes a meaningful amount of time and money to your life. Another reason why you want to make sure that your dog can live free of joint pains or arthritis.
All of which brings a meaningful self-fulfilling wish. As you do these things, you will find that your life is filled with new dimensions.
You have taken on the responsibility of another life, of another friend, of another companion. And, it’s a perspective that you would never have thought possible.
Joint Pain in Dogs – Ways to Help Relieve the Pain
Joint pain in dogs is quite common, especially if your pet is aging. Did you know that one out of four dogs will develop arthritis later in their lives? Just as it is in humans, arthritis in dogs is becoming a growing problem.
Here are a few things you can do to try to help reduce the pain:
- Ask the vet to perform a thorough exam. Cats and dogs are very similar when it comes to joint pain. If your dog is not acting normal, take it to the vet. Your dog may need to get an x-ray or be seen by the vet. Determining the reason for your dog’s sore joint pain is often easier than you might think.
- Is your dog overweight? Keeping your dog at a healthy weight is vital to joint health. If your dog is at a weight that puts excessive strain on their joints, they are more likely to develop arthritis later in life. Your vet can recommend a course of action to take to help lower your dog’s weight.
- Natural supplements. Try using glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate to help relieve the pain. These ingredients are already naturally found in our dogs’ bodies. The more you can give your dog these ingredients, the easier it will be on their joints.
- Exercise. While it may seem counterintuitive, moderate exercise such as walking for 20 or 30 minutes a day can help the joint’s health.
- Switch to a dog food designed for joint health. These can be found specifically for osteoarthritis in dogs. Your vet can help recommend a special program for your dog’s diet.
- Massage. The release of endorphins in the brain can help. At the same time, you’re going to want to use a massage to start you off.
- Medicine. Try some over counter canine arthritis medicine for dogs.
A simple thumb massage can work wonders in helping with your dog’s joint pain. You may consider this a therapeutic option instead of a purely physical treatment.
Make Sure Your Place is Orthopedic
Elmiraonline.com offers dog beds that can help as well. The folks at ElmiraOnline have worked with dogs and their owners for over a decade to develop dog beds that are as tasty and good for your pet as they are for you.
While dogs can be trained not to urinate in the house, this is a problem that might be caused by a medical reason. Before taking any steps, consider talking to your veterinarian.
While they can help you rule out any medical reason, they can also recommend changes to get your pet back to normal health.
Constant Vomiting and Diarrhea
When something triggers stress in your pet, they can suffer from diarrhea. Stress can cause this.
The best thing to do is to try to identify what triggers the problem. It could be too much work trying to fix the problem, or the stress is too difficult for your pet to take.
Try to reduce your pet’s exposure to the trigger or the matter that causes the stress over a couple of weeks.